When looking for auto insurance quotes, the process can be tiring, tedious, and often looks expensive. Trying to figure out just how to save on premiums can be tricky. This article lists the most common types of discounts that insurance companies offer.
- Multiple policy. It is always a good idea to have either homeowners or renters insurance. Most insurance companies will offer a discount on each of the premiums when homeowners or renters is combined with auto insurance.
- Anti-theft device. Most newer cars these days already come with anti-theft devices installed. Insurance companies will take this into consideration when providing a quote, as long as it is checked on the list of "amenities." However, for the cars that don't already have anti-theft devices, some insurance companies will offer a discount for those who get them installed.
- Multiple vehicle. Many households these days have more than one vehicle. Insurance companies will often provide a lowered premium payment for those who insure all of their vehicles through them.
- Safe driver. For those who go a certain length of time, often six months, without an accident or a ticket, many insurance companies will offer a discount. Often this is done in two different ways. First, sometimes the company mails a reimbursement check to the customer. Second, the company lowers the premium payment amount.
- Full payment. Many people pay their insurance premiums month-to-month. However, paying the full six month premium at once often saves money, because the insurance company will offer an overall discount. While doing this means paying a larger chunk at once, in the long run money will be saved. There is a double benefit to this because it means one less bill to have to think about each month.
- Driving fewer miles. Many people drive their cars to and from work each day. This quickly adds up miles, especially if one works a significant distance from their home. Taking public transportation or participating in a carpool will lessen the number of miles driven each month. Insurance companies may offer a discount to those who do so.
- Automatic payment. Rather than mailing in a payment each month or every six months, having the payment automatically deducted from a checking or savings account is another way to potentially receive a lower premium amount.
- Defensive driver. Some insurance companies offer a course on defensive driving. For those who take this course, the company will often offer a lowered premium amount.
When looking into auto insurance, asking an agent (working at a company like Dawson Insurance Agency Incorporated) about each of these discounts may save a considerable amount of money.